Friday, February 19, 2010

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

This is another home run from the cheap, easy, and YUMMY recipes I got from Woman's Day. They say $1.83 per serving.

I am not gonna lie I was really nervous about this one. I am not one to like beans and cilantro and the thought of mixing some of this stuff really did not sound good to me. This was supposed to be Wednesday's dinner but we went out and ate instead so I made it for lunch yesterday. I then had it for lunch today and we will be making it again next week for dinner.








Ingredients:

makes 4 servings (it sticks to your ribs)

1 cup rice
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 red onion chopped
2 cubanelle peppers (banana peppers)
1 ham steak cubed (found by the bacon/sausage in stores)
1 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
2 cans low sodium black beans (UNdrained)
1/2 cup water
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup cilantro - I personally think this is TOO MUCH. A little cilantro goes a long way and too much will leave your food tasting like soap. And yes I know what soap tastes like because I often had my mouth washed out. I used a generous handful and ran the knife through it a few times.

* I added a jalapeno for a little extra spice.

garnish with fresh lime wedges

Directions:

Bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add rice- cover and remove from heat.

Heat oil over med heat in a large skillet or wok.
Add peppers and onions and cook until they are tender.
Add ham and cook until browned.
Add cumin, garlic, and oregano and cook for about 30 seconds.
Pour in both cans of UNDRAINED beans and 1/2 cup water and reduce heat and bring to simmer for about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add red wine vinegar and cilantro.

Serve over rice and use lime for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment